Monday, April 2, 2007

That's NOT Nevada!


As part of my job; I sometimes visits mining prospects, that people are trying to peddle to the company, in order to make an evaluation. This past February I made such a trip to the Lemhi Range. Near the mouth of the canyon that we were in I found this old boundry survey marked on a rock. The date is 1925. When I first started out in mining for Kennecott at the Alligator Ridge Mine in Eastern Nevada my first job was as a surveyor. So when I come across old survey hubs and the like I find them interesting.


The Lemhi Range runs between Howe and Salmon Idaho. It was a bit surreal for me. The range seems out of place. It looks to be so much like basin and range from Nevada. If you were to show these pictures to my many friends in Nevada most of them would surely guess that they were taken somewhere in the state.


There are a few old structures that remain from a day long past. From my studies of the area most of the mining occurred in the 30's and 40's.


This rock formation was interesting to me because of the hole that passes through it near the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Say something!