Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Great Day Hunting

Saturday I spent the day elk hunting with some good friends. We went up Murphy's Creek, which feeds the Greys River. We packed in on mules about 5 miles and then hunted the head of the creek near the summit of the Salt River Range.


Whompa


Near the Top

We ran into some good hunting here. I saw a very nice 5 point mule deer. When got into the elk pretty thick. Ki Ealey took a couple of shots, down below me. I saw several very nice bulls running across a snow field. I didn't have a gunners mate to feed me coordinates, so I refrained from shooting! Jeff Miller took two shots above me. I made the mistake of hiking off the hill to see how Ki had did. He missed.

Shortly there after we learned that Jeff had shot one. Of coarse at the very top of the mountain.


Jeff (standing), Whomp, Bob Coggins, and Ki Ealey

How come Jeff shot it and everyone else is cleaning it? It's the first elk jeff has ever shot! A small calf, but an elk just the same.

Ki, Jeff, and Whompa

On the Trail Out


Ki, Myself, Whompa and Jeff

(We are the ones on two legs)!

Photos taken: October 18, 2008

Last photo taken by: Bob Coggins

2 comments:

  1. So what is the whole story on that elk? ha ha

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to share your life with those of us who are much less diligent. Sure do enjoy all your great work, oh Great Blogmaster!
    Hope we get to see you again this summer.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Say something!